Thursday, July 23, 2009

An Outsiders Perspective

As I sit here half way through my sixth week of this 10 week internship, I reflect upon the things that I've learned from so far. My first lesson came my second week here when I found out just how strict the Allentown parking authority is. I missed my meter by less than 5 min and they had already ticketed me. I guess you haven't had the Old Allentown experience until you've experienced the promptness of the ticketing agents. All that aside though, I have learned quite a bit about a city that I grew up quite close to but never had the opportunity to get to know. I grew up in Lancaster, only about an hour away from Allentown, but other than driving through it on my way somewhere else, I had never before really spent any time here. I found the parts that I have experienced to be diversely culturally rich, as well as aesthetically impressive. For me, Allentown has turned out to be a combination of rich culture, impressive architecture, and historic presence.


One of my favorite travel destinations is Washington Heights, New York City. Washington Heights is a predominantly Dominican neighborhood with influences from many other Latin American cultures. "The Heights," as the neighborhood is referred to by locals is so rich with culture that all five senses are saturated. I have found the historic district of Allentown to be much the same. Everywhere that you look there are people proud of their history with Puerto Rican or Dominican flags hanging on a porch or in a car. The smell of "arroz con habichuelas" (or rice and beans) is present on almost every sidewalk due to such a high presence of Latin American Restaurants. On many sidewalks either Spanish conversation or music (or both) can be heard. Anyone adventurous enough to venture into any of the cultural restaurants will be greatly rewarded by some of the greatest flavors of any cuisine worldwide. Upon close examination of any building, especially one constructed of brick, the feel of the antiquity of the neighborhood is so obvious, yet it is equally obvious that most of the buildings are still in great condition.



It is the architectural beauty of the neighborhood that sets it apart from any New York City Borough. Old Allentown is as richly filled with architecture as it is with culture. Through walking around the neighborhood distributing the Elm Street Community Survey (please fill one out and return by September 1st) and working on a PowerPoint Presentation documenting all of the completed facade restorations to date, I have seen some really unique architecture. The detail put into the lentils, and the porches, the dedication to the historical accuracy of the shutters is something for any resident of the Historic District to be proud of.


With the resources and manpower available, OAPA has done a great job taking the time and attention to detail to pursue a dedication to historical architectural accuracy. Not only do they have an understanding of what the Historic District should look like, OAPA has also created literature to communicate that idea to the residents to help spread their mission to maintain a historic presence in the city of Allentown.

I have so far enjoyed the things that I've learned and the people that I have had the opportunity to meet. Each person has been able to offer me a unique perspective of the district, and each building that I have observed has shown me a different style of historic renovation. If you are a resident of the Allentown Historic District, be proud of the neighborhood you live in! As an outsider it has certainly impressed me.
Ciao,
Adam

No comments: